JOB TITLE: Buyer
DEPARTMENT: Purchasing and Supply Chain
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Procurement of Products and Services
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- To ensure the service level to our customers is maximized through a combination of efficient purchasing, at the best possible price.
- Develop supplier relationships for a given product set: ensure suppliers always provide information related to deals and promotions and use this information to negotiate better deals. This relationship can be supported by regular meetings where necessary
- To negotiate at any opportunity, to maximise margins, ensuring best price
- Liaise with sales teams to communicate any issues arising with their orders
- Clear and concise interaction with all company departments; notably the sales department, distribution centre, inventory and accounts payable.
- Ensure purchase orders are loaded correctly to enable seamless payment of invoices
- Understand the purchasing processes for a variety of product types and manufacturers as required.
- Consistently review work practices in search of efficiency improvements.
- Identify issues as part of the day to day workflows and use skills and experience to resolve supplier issues. First point of escalation.
- Raise POs as required within the defined Purchasing SLA with a limited degree of supervision
- Ensure all changes to purchase orders are recorded on the system
- Liaise with warehouse to ensure any issues can be resolved in a timely fashion
- Provide cover for other members of the department as necessary and perform other tasks if requested from time to time by the Category Manager
- Support less experienced members of the team in the education of best practices and purchasing processes.
- Understand how Purchasing function supports other departments and overall business objectives.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of working in a procurement role, ideally within IT (Understanding of core CDW vendors, beneficial)
- Experienced in dealing with suppliers and contractors, and negotiations to ensure best cost and quality
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Highly motivated with ability to work under own initiative, making decisions to benefit the business
- Demonstrated attention to detail, time management and organizational skill
- Microsoft Office skills, preferably including: Excel and Word but not essential
- Honest and hardworking
- Self-Motivated and proactive
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proven record of reliability, responsibility and work ethic
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good interpersonal skills – ability to liaise with personnel at all levels and adapt style accordingly
- Capable of multi tasking, efficiently managing time and resources
- Ability to work to challenging deadlines
- Have a desire for continuous development and improvement
- A receptive, approachable individual who can provide and receive feedback in an effective, impartial manner
- Willing to go the extra mile to ensure requirements are met and practices are followed
- Able to identify, communicate and resolve issues that may cause risk to others or the company
- Flexibility with working hours
- Passionate about making positive changes and improving efficiencies
- Must have an excellent command of the English language with strong written and verbal communication skills